THE AMERICAN LEGION
PARIS POST 1
(TAX EXEMPT for BOTH EURO and $USD Donations)
Throughout the year Paris Post 1 and our family of associations incur expenses to support our mission and activities. We have been maintaining our ceremonial duties, events and activities for over 100 years.
Support can come in the form of membership into one of our organizations or donations to help us run these associations. More information can be found under our Membership section on how you can join the American Legion, Auxiliary and Sons of the American Legion.
For those who wish to donate resources or donate monetary gifts in $USD or Euro to help our existence and mission, we are able to receive these generous gifts tax free per U.S. and French regulations. Due to our veteran organization existing in the USA and France, we are able to receive donations and membership dues in $USD or Euro. This revenue helps us exist and carry on our ceremonial duties, maintain our legion office, and help grow our support and services for veterans and family of Paris Post 1 and our community.
- Join the American Legion, Auxiliary and Sons of the American Legion
- Wreath Donation for our Ceremonies (gerbe)
- Donation to Support the Burials and Maintenance at the Paris Post 1 Mausoleum
- Memorial Day and Veteran's Day Ceremony Donations
- Legacy Gifts and Donations to Help our Mission and Historic Legacy
- Donation to Preservce our Historic Archive of Photos and Documents (current ongoing project)
- Gifts to Support the France ~ Etats-Unis Frienship
- Donations to Fund the Paris Post 1 Student Scholarship
We are also open to resources and support through partnerships and working with others who are interested in our history and legacy. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have an idea or way that you could help be apart of our mission.
Some of our regular projects and activites include:
- monthly meetings, activities and adminstration for Paris Post 1, the Auxiliary and the Sons of the American Legion
- maintaining our memorials in Paris and the Île de France region plus our inventory of ceremonial flags and equipment
- building our membership of active members both locally and outside of France to ensure our legacy and existence flourishes
- preserving and sharing our historic archive of photos, documents and "hidden history" (since 1919 ~ currently not digitized or analyzed)
- documenting, preserving and publishing our current ceremonies, activities and events in our social media and news networks
- participating in community events, supporting families, and bringing in new community volunteers
This list is forever growing and changing as we move into the future. It is our responsibility to call others to help our mission and to stand by us to ensure that the 1st international post of the American Legion is forever open and available to veterans, their families and the community in which we serve.
The American Legion was founded in 1919 by veterans returning from Europe after World War 1. It is authorized by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to receive donations tax free for both you and our veterans non-profit organization.
The Internal Revenue Code section 501(c) includes two subsections [501(c)(19) and 501(c)(23)] which provide for tax-exemption under section 501(a) for organizations that benefit veterans of the United States Armed Forces. Internal Revenue Code section 7701(a)(15) defines “Armed Forces of the United States” to include all regular and reserve components of the uniformed services which are subject to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of the Army, the Secretary of the Navy, or the Secretary of the Air Force, and each term also includes the Coast Guard.
To be exempt under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(19), an organization must be either:
- a post or organization of past or present members of the United States Armed Forces
- an auxiliary unit or society of such post or organization
- or a trust or foundation for such post or organization
For further information on the Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(19), please visit the IRS website:
First American Legion Caucus in Paris' 7th Arrondissement in March 1919
The American Legion Paris Post 1 is a registered French non-profit association. French law recognizes associations that serve a public benefit. Non-profit associations may receive donations, grants, and other contributions without incurring any income tax liability. VAT exemptions are provided for specificed types of activities and goods.
All foundations, except corporate foundations, are entitled to give donations to non-profit associations like Paris Post 1. Legal entities receive a tax credit along with individual donations which can be worth up to 20% in tax credits.
Paris Post 1 association details:
- SIRET 42861185900029
- we are organized under the laws of July 1, 1901 in France
For further information on French laws concerning non-profit associations, please refer to the Council on Foundations webpage which keeps the laws governing non-profits associations up to date in English https://www.cof.org/country-notes/nonprofit-law-france#Types.
Learn more about The American Legion Family
Paris Post 1 is proud to have an active group of Legionnaires, Auxiliary and Sons in France!
Copyright © 2020 American Legion Paris Post 1 - All Rights Reserved